Friday, May 04, 2012

Ormskirk fundraising for Cambodian children living in poverty

Children and Development Organisation (CDO) Children’s Home in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
Children and Development Organisation (CDO) Children’s Home in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Article and Photos by Hannah Ainslie

I recently returned from five months travelling in South-East Asia, during which I came across the Children and Development Organisation (CDO) Children’s Home in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Siem Reap is known for the beautiful ancient area of the Angkor temple ruins, but I mostly felt heart-broken by the level of poverty I saw, especially the begging children.
On my second day in Siem Reap I was introduced to CDO, and immediately began volunteering with them. CDO only began in July 2010, providing the children they care for with a healthy family home and an education.

Hannah and CDO staff in Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hannah and CDO staff in Siem Reap, Cambodia
 
These children would otherwise be living in serious poverty. The majority of them are from a rural isolated village that has no clean water and a very limited food supply, which is reduced to practically nothing during the annual flood season. CDO also work with that village trying to help it and the people who live there.

My visit to CDO went from a few days to a month very quickly.  I helped them mostly with things towards marketing, to raise attention therefore donations. I taught English to the children at first, wrote some documents for them and also created their website.

Hannah Ainslie Cambodia Children from Siem Reap
Hannah Ainslie Cambodia Children from Siem Reap

Having arrived home, I am determined to raise money for CDO. On top of all their usual pressures, they now have to build a new home as their current land-lords are evicting them, so CDO need donations more than ever.

I would like to start "Ormskirk fundraising for Cambodian children".  When people hear that I am raising money for these poverty stricken Cambodian children, they are very eager to find out more and help out in any way they can.

Local people and businesses have already shown an interest in helping out in different ways:
  • The Ormskirk bar Lime Tyger is very enthusiastic to help, and will be the venue for an evening event around mid-June.
  • Local musicians are keen to be involved in this too.
  • I plan to get a local outdoor venue for a day event with games and food, appealing to families and the wider community.
Siem Reap Childrens' Home in Cambodia
Siem Reap Childrens' Home in Cambodia

Collection boxes will be used and raffle tickets sold, with prizes donated by local businesses.
It is a heart-warming experience, and each day I feel even more driven to succeed.  


You can find out more about CDO via their website: http://cdochildren.wordpress.com/ or to contact me on 07729304879.

Do you have some community news from around the Ormskirk area to share or a story to tell? Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment